Hot August Nights is Reno and Sparks’ salute to the golden era of automobiles, where enthusiasts from around the globe come to our little corner of the Sierra Nevada to show off their hot rod handywork, check out other cars or just enjoy some good entertainment under the sun.
More than 800,000 spectators are expected for the 2008 showing. This year’s event runs from Aug. 1-10, with events, cruises, concerts and vendors every day. Some hightlights include:
- Aug. 1: $500 customer choice show n’ shine, 4-9 p.m. at the Summit Sierra Mall, 13925 S. Virginia Street
- Aug. 2: Hot August Nights River Wine Walk, 3-6 p.m. in Downtown Reno
- Aug. 3: Pre-kick-off party and show n’ shine, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. in Downtown Reno
- Aug. 4: Sparks pre-kick-off party and open cruise in Downtown Sparks
- Aug. 5: Guinness Book of World Records Hula Hoop contest, 6-8 p.m. at the Atlantis Casino Resort
- Aug. 6: Classic Hot Rod Showcase, 8-8:30 p.m., Peppermill Hotel Casino
- Aug. 7: Johnny Barron and the Bel Aires live, 7-9:45 p.m. , Peppermill Hotel Casino
- Aug. 8: Ftizgerald’s Show n’ Shine, 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., Fitzgerald’s Reno
- Aug. 9: Drag racing and burnouts, 6 p.m.-1 a.m., Reno-Fernley Raceway
- Aug. 10: Car Awards Presentation and Parade of Champions, 8:30 a.m., Downtown Reno
For a complete list of the dozens of Hot August Nights events, click here (pdf).