In the last decade, the resort industry has definitely taken a turn, shifting its attention from a niche of solely ski/board enthusiasts, to travelers and families who want the fresh tracks, but also after-hours activities, shopping, restaurants and nightlife.
Throughout Reno-Tahoe, resorts have been keeping up with demand – and readers of Ski have taken notice. Here are some of the rankings:
- Squaw Valley USA, ranked number 15 overall, was recognized as “A giant playground. Never boring and always challenging,” with it’s 4,000 acres sprawled across six peaks.
- Heavenly Mountain Resort’s addition of a new gondola a few years back certainly helped it earn the 17th spot in the poll, along with its expansive terrain bridging two states and 300 days of sunshine a year.
- Northstar-at-Tahoe Resort, ranked 23rd overall, is a local favorite, and with a “terrific” new village, its reputation is growing in the larger ski community. The resort recently added expert terrain at Lookout Mountain, and the Ritz Carlton Club under development at mid-mountain will add a touch of class when it is finalized in a year.
- Alpine Meadows, earning a ranking of 29th overall, looks like a hometown mountain at first peek, but the 2,400 acres of awesome terrain and snowfall that tops 500 inches some years tells a different story. Alpine is a good fit for skiers of every ability, but still exudes that Old Tahoe charm.
Other notable Ski Magazine rankings:
- Family Programs: 8. Northstar-at-Tahoe Resort
- Best Terrain Park: 3. Northstar-at-Tahoe Resort
- Best Scenery: 2. Heavenly Mountain Resort
- Best Terrain/Variety: 5. Squaw Valley USA
- Best Terrain/Challenge: 6. Squaw Valley USA
- Best Lifts: 9. Squaw Valley USA
- Best Apres Ski: 4. Heavenly Mountain Resort
- Best Off-Hill Activities: 5. Heavenly Mountain Resort
In other news, Squaw Valley USA received high marks in Outside Magazine’s November listing of the 15 Best Ski Resorts in North America, coming in at a respectable number nine.
What is your favorite Reno-Tahoe resort (and why)?