The newest issue of Nevada Magazine features the one and only, Reno Tahoe! We couldn’t help but share these breath-taking images and well written articles on our favorite destination. Features in the magazine include the area’s top ski resorts (including the largest ski resort in the US!), the Black Rock Desert beyond Burning Man (their photos will wow you), lakes, parks, towns, venues…. everything you’d want to know!
Want your own copy? Take advantage of Groupon’s 50% off deal through 10/22! http://www.groupon.com/deals/nevada-magazine-2 .
If you haven’t seen the latest issue of Ski Magazine, the cover story is the “Top 50 Resort Guide,” with Reno-Tahoe-area resorts getting some major props from readers.
In the last decade, the resort industry has definitely taken a turn, shifting its attention from a niche of solely ski/board enthusiasts, to travelers and families who want the fresh tracks, but also after-hours activities, shopping, restaurants and nightlife.
Throughout Reno-Tahoe, resorts have been keeping up with demand – and readers of Ski have taken notice. Here are some of the rankings:
- Squaw Valley USA, ranked number 15 overall, was recognized as “A giant playground. Never boring and always challenging,” with it’s 4,000 acres sprawled across six peaks.
- Heavenly Mountain Resort’s addition of a new gondola a few years back certainly helped it earn the 17th spot in the poll, along with its expansive terrain bridging two states and 300 days of sunshine a year.
- Northstar-at-Tahoe Resort, ranked 23rd overall, is a local favorite, and with a “terrific” new village, its reputation is growing in the larger ski community. The resort recently added expert terrain at Lookout Mountain, and the Ritz Carlton Club under development at mid-mountain will add a touch of class when it is finalized in a year.
- Alpine Meadows, earning a ranking of 29th overall, looks like a hometown mountain at first peek, but the 2,400 acres of awesome terrain and snowfall that tops 500 inches some years tells a different story. Alpine is a good fit for skiers of every ability, but still exudes that Old Tahoe charm.
Other notable Ski Magazine rankings:
- Family Programs: 8. Northstar-at-Tahoe Resort
- Best Terrain Park: 3. Northstar-at-Tahoe Resort
- Best Scenery: 2. Heavenly Mountain Resort
- Best Terrain/Variety: 5. Squaw Valley USA
- Best Terrain/Challenge: 6. Squaw Valley USA
- Best Lifts: 9. Squaw Valley USA
- Best Apres Ski: 4. Heavenly Mountain Resort
- Best Off-Hill Activities: 5. Heavenly Mountain Resort
In other news, Squaw Valley USA received high marks in Outside Magazine’s November listing of the 15 Best Ski Resorts in North America, coming in at a respectable number nine.
What is your favorite Reno-Tahoe resort (and why)?