A fan favorite gone for many years makes a repeat appearance for the Hot August Nights 25th Anniversary. The Official Hot August Nights Classic Car Drag Racing event will take place from August 10th through August 13th in the west parking lot of John Ascuaga’s Nugget.
The smell of burning rubber and gasoline paired with classic eye candy and high adrenaline creates a habitual dynamic draw to the Hot August Nights Drag Races. Ten years ago, 2001 marked the last year the Drags were conducted at the Reno-Stead Airport. The popular event had to be cancelled indefinitely, until now.
Full Throttle Performance and John Ascuaga’s Nugget decided to bring back a beloved element of Hot August Nights to contribute to a successful 25th year celebration.
The drag race event consists of approximately an eighth of a mile track and will take place in the west parking lot of John Ascuaga’s Nugget from 12pm to 10pm August 10-13. Hot August Nights volunteers and car participants will gain free entry into the event. The gate fee for the general public is $10 daily. To enter your car in a race, vehicles must be 1972 or older, with an American or European make. The cost to race is $25 per vehicle, per day for registered car participants and $45 per vehicle, per day for non-registered car participants. Tires must be D.O.T. approved (no slicks), no nitro/nitrous and no racing fuels allowed. Daily prize for the fastest overall time will be awarded.
Check out our photos from last year on Flickr and Facebook.
More information can be found at http://www.hotaugustnights.net.
Hot August Nights, one of the nation’s biggest events for auto enthusiasts, has finally started, and the streets are filled to the brim with custom rigs, hot rods, classics and exotics, while the stages are pumping with classic sounds.
The event runs through Aug. 9, with dozens of events every day throughout the Reno and Sparks areas. Download a schedule here.
Hot August Nights is Reno and Sparks’ salute to the golden era of automobiles, where enthusiasts from around the globe come to our little corner of the Sierra Nevada to show off their hot rod handywork, check out other cars or just enjoy some good entertainment under the sun.
More than 800,000 spectators are expected for the 2008 showing. This year’s event runs from Aug. 1-10, with events, cruises, concerts and vendors every day. Some hightlights include:
- Aug. 1: $500 customer choice show n’ shine, 4-9 p.m. at the Summit Sierra Mall, 13925 S. Virginia Street
- Aug. 2: Hot August Nights River Wine Walk, 3-6 p.m. in Downtown Reno
- Aug. 3: Pre-kick-off party and show n’ shine, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. in Downtown Reno
- Aug. 4: Sparks pre-kick-off party and open cruise in Downtown Sparks
- Aug. 5: Guinness Book of World Records Hula Hoop contest, 6-8 p.m. at the Atlantis Casino Resort
- Aug. 6: Classic Hot Rod Showcase, 8-8:30 p.m., Peppermill Hotel Casino
- Aug. 7: Johnny Barron and the Bel Aires live, 7-9:45 p.m. , Peppermill Hotel Casino
- Aug. 8: Ftizgerald’s Show n’ Shine, 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., Fitzgerald’s Reno
- Aug. 9: Drag racing and burnouts, 6 p.m.-1 a.m., Reno-Fernley Raceway
- Aug. 10: Car Awards Presentation and Parade of Champions, 8:30 a.m., Downtown Reno
For a complete list of the dozens of Hot August Nights events, click here (pdf).